If you are new to VMware training and certification, and to compute virtualisation, this is the most likely path you will follow:
1. Attend the vSphere 6 Install Configure Manage class
2. Pass the vSphere 6 Foundations exam (code 2V0-620)
3. Pass the VMware Certified Professional 6 - Data Center Virtualisation exam (code 2V0-621)
Install Configure Manage is just one of the qualifying training courses for VCP6-DCV - at the time of writing you can actually take any of these vSphere 6 courses:
- Install, Configure, Manage
- Optimize & Scale
- Fast Track
- Design and Deploy Fast Track
- Install, Configure and Manage plus Optimize and Scale Fast Track
Alternate paths to achieve VCP6-DCV are available for those who have previous or other VCP level certifications - you can find those under the Existing Candidate Requirements tab of the VCP6-DCV page.
In terms of exam information and preparation - the links above will give you costs, numbers of questions, amount of time, the exam topics that you will be tested on - for previous version exams this information was found in a PDF known as the "exam blueprint".
The exam pages will also tell you whether that particular exam is "proctored" or "non-proctored". Only the "proctored" exams need to be taken at a testing centre, "non-proctored" exams can be taken from any location/system with an internet connection.
As well as the preparation resources available on the exam pages, the VCP community forum page can also give you some great ideas and help from others, plus there are some great unofficial resources available too: